You just had that “special moment”, something stirred you and you are ready to change your ways and the world. You can hardly wait, you know that tomorrow everything will be different. Then tomorrow came and went and your enthusiasm has gone and all your dreams of yesterday never had a chance to become a reality. What happened? You were so sure that this time it was going to happen.
That successful person, you so admire or envy, seems to have such an easy life. Underneath that success I’m sure there are thousands of trials that were overcome, one at a time.
Yes, you can change the world, but it needs to be done one small step at a time. Let me share a simple, but very hard to follow, plan to help you achieve your dreams. ( hard to follow because it requires something of you, perhaps the most difficult thing that each of us has to have and that is discipline.)
- First, make a list of all the negative behaviors you have, and want to change. Be honest with yourself. Examples can include: being late for meetings, not turning off your cell phone in a meeting; not returning phone calls on time; handling a piece of paper more than once; not doing enough exercise, etc, etc, etc. This has to be your list, please list at least 12 negative behaviors that need to be changed.
- Now list then in the order that you think, if corrected, can have the biggest positive result.
- Take number one on your list; let’s say being late for meetings. For the next five days, arrive at least 10 minutes early for all meetings. Write this issue on a piece of paper and place it so you can see it first thing every morning.
- On the sixth day, take the number two behavior and start working on changing it to a positive. For example, you may need to exercise for 30 minutes every day. Start doing your exercise, Post this goal under your first, which, by the way, you are still doing.
- Continue adding to your list every six days. At the end of two months you will have started work on all the issues you listed. At the end of three months, they will have become part of your life and you can start another list.
\There are no such things as unrealistic goals, only unrealistic time frames.
Have a great day!