Another challenge for a small business owner is to become known in his own community. The following is a list of possibilities for you to think about:
- Prepare a 20 minute talk on your business. Not how great you are but how your business impacts the community. Talk about trends in your business, give a history of your specific service or product; talk about a hobby or other special interest that you have. In every city and town there are service clubs and many other groups that meet on a weekly basis. The challenge for each of these groups is to find a speaker every week. Get a list of civic organizations (rotary, lions, etc) and offer to speak to their group; include a brief outline of your talk.
- Prepare a news release on something related to your business or an award you received, etc, etc…. Send it to your local newspaper , TV and radio stations. There is a lot of free help available on line as to how to write an effective news release.
- Join a civic organization, not to hand out business cards, but to help the organization in their charitable work.
- Get involved in your place of worship. There is always work to be done.
- Most charities need help, find one close to your heart and go volunteer your time.
- If you are afraid of public speaking, join a toastmaster club.
- If you have young children volunteer at their school
- If there is not an organization for your type of profession, start one; if one exists, get active and earn your way to the top by your work and actions.
- Join and get active in your local Chamber of Commerce.
These are but ways of getting known in a community.Like anything else worthwhile, it takes time and effort to earn recognition in a community, but if you do, you will not only feel good but others will respect and trust you and will look for your business.
Witness is like perfume. If it’s really good, you won’t have to call attention to it.
Have a great day!