With only 10 working days left in this process (two weeks) today’s assignment may be one of the most difficult ones you will have to face. Several weeks ago your assignment was to read a book called The E myth by Michael Gerber. The book is short and should have been completed by now. In his book, Gerber encourages his readers to stop working in the business ( doing the physical work) and start working on the business.
The success of this business will feed your family, provide an education for your children and also provide for your retirement. In other words, this business represents how you and your family will live the rest of your lives. Your challenge is to find a day, not to far in the future, and allow yourself to leave your business and your family obligations and work, by yourself. on your business.
No, you don’t have to do it tomorrow, but you should do it within the next three to four weeks. Here is the process that I want you to follow: The reason for the assignment at this time is to allow you to clear your calendar. It is important that you do this while this journey is still fresh in your mind.
- Take all the daily lessons (which you are keeping in a notebook) as well as the spiral notebook ( your journal)
- Rent a room, use an empty office ( not a room in your home or office, but an entire office where there will be no one but you) there should be no radio or TV available, only a cell phone for emergency calls.
- Pack a lunch, coffee, water, etc to last you for the entire day.
- Take your computer and or a lot of paper and pens to jot down your thoughts.
- Review all assignments you had and jot down a few notes on how you implemented them and the success and failures you encountered. Do this before you have this special day.
- Now your day starts; discipline is the key word. You have an option of sitting in your chair and day dreaming or working to see where your business is now and determining the direction is will take starting tomorrow.
- You have had enough guidance to be able to generate a good plan. Start by looking at where you were when you started this journey. Make a list of things that you want to implement, or to continue, that you have started. Look at the five things that you wrote about that could increase your business.
- Take a sheet of paper and draw a line down the middle. Make a T chart. On one side write down things that you have been doing that have not been very productive on the other side, write down ideas and things that are producing the best results.
My recommendation is that you take one person with you for this day of reflection; your coach/mentor. It may cost you a few dollars but this is the wrap of for your course. There will be more to come on your preparation for this day. For now, select a day, find a location and invite your coach or mentor.
The real voyage of discovery consists…. in seeing with new eyes.