It’s easy to lose sight of a goal. According to a small business owner, he shared that he gets so busy trying to keep track of the day to day issues that he forgets the bigger picture. The plan he designed is gathering dust in his desk drawer.
Our goal was to come up with a simple reminder of where he was going and to restore his main focus on what matters most. His assignment was simple, I asked him to make a list of ten things that matters most in his life ( things he wanted to accomplish); the following is the list that he came up with:
- take care of my family ( I asked him to elaborate and he added to spend time with them and to provide the necessities for a quality life style)
- to stay healthy
- to increase my bottom line (make enough money to save for retirement and to avoid the cash flow shortages he currently had)
- to help others
- to keep spiritually fit
- to take a two week vacation
- buy a new computer
- attend an industry seminar
- to meet more people ( both for business and as friends)
- put away a six month reserve for both home and business
The next challenge was to prioritize them in order of importance. Once that was accomplished I gave him five, 3 x 5 cards and had him write across the top of each card: THESE ARE THE THINGS I AM WORKING TOWARDS TODAY. The next step was to list the top five items under the heading. At the bottom of the card I had him write the following: WILL WHAT I AM DOING NOW LEAD TO TO THE ACCOMPLISHMENT OF THESE GOALS.
The distribution list for those five cards was as follows: one on the bathroom mirror ( to be seen first thing in the morning and the last thing at night); one on his desk so that he could easily see it; one on the dashboard of his car; one to be carried with him in his shirt pocket ( at all times) and the last was my copy so I can help him stay accountable to his commitment.
Do this for a year and your life will change for the better.
Every dream fulfilled occurred because of dedication to a process.
Have a great day!