I have long been an advocate of person to person contact. There is no better way to “win friends and influence people” that by personal contact. So, when is someone approachable? Go to a store or walk down a crowded street and look at the people passing by. You can tell by the look an their face if that person is someone you consider approachable. Practicing being approachable is a necessity not only for growing a business, but for spreading good will in a community. Let’s talk about being approachable:
- Keep a smile on your face at all times
- Make eye contact with people
- Acknowledge people whenever possible, even if you don’t know them
- Be polite
- Speak positive words
- If an older person drops something, be the first to help
- Start conversation with people when in line, elevator, etc
- Introduce your self to people you don’t know at gatherings, parties, meetings, etc.
- At a group meeting, don’t just talk to your friends, ” you click” reach out to others
Walk into several small shops or offices and see how you are greeted. That first few minutes of the first meeting sets the tone for the rest of the transaction and any future business with that shop.
There are a lot of factors to consider when growing a business, and your being approachable is one of the key factors.
If you could only love enough, you could be the most powerful person in the world.