Have you ever driven to work, of some other place, and found that you have arrived at your destination without remembering the drive? Sometimes it’s not only the driving that we don’t “focus” on but many other things in our lives.
Focus is one of the most important things in a small business owner’s life; focus does not pertain to just driving, but to everything we do. Our ability to focus has, I believe, a direct bearing on the success of the business.
Your challenge for the next six weeks is to really focus on all aspects of your business and family life; to be deeply aware of what is going on around you, to ” stop and smell the roses”. I recommend the following categories, add to them if there are others that are important in your life.
- Family: Listen to all your family members; let them share their day. Your spouse and your children are the center of your life, take a good look at them and remember happy times past and plan with them future happy times. Time and attention are two of the greatest gifts one can share with family.
- Spirituality: Taking time to focus and listening to God is part of calming that is needed to persevere. Your spiritual life should be one of your greatest source of support as you walk this journey of life.
- Physical: Without good health, it is almost impossible to reach your goals. This includes yearly doctor visits and some form of daily exercise. At least a half an hour of structured exercise will not only help you feel better, but will make you more efficient and aware of what needs to be accomplished.
- Work: Take a good look at what you have accomplished; the business may still be suffering in this economy but you have the tools to be successful. Focus on the positive possibilities not the daily grind.
- Financial: Sit down with your family and take a hard look at your financial position; ignoring this aspect of your life will not make it better. In a small business the family and business finances are almost one and the same. Know where you are today and then plan your action, as a family, that is necessary to grow both your family and business on a solid foundation.
Summarize your challenge on several three by five cards and keep on on your desk, tape one to your bathroom mirror and keep one in your shirt pocket. Live this challenge for the next six weeks and your life will be better for it.
Nothing can be more useful to a man than a determination not to be hurried.
Don’t forget your books at www.paydirtbooks.com