Many small business don’t take advantage of the power of a published news release. Newspapers, radio stations and TV stations will publish or report on an interesting news release, the size of the firm does not matter, as long as it is a newsworthy. No, not all news release are “picked up”, but a printed story is much more powerful than paid advertising.
There is another advantage to writing a news release, it help you focus your thoughts. The following is an outline for a news release:
- The headline: It should have a “grabber” to attract readers, viewers, etc. it should be brief, clear and to the point. It becomes a very short version of the press release’s key point
- The body copy: This part should be written as you wold want it to appear in a news story. Don’t make this section to long or it may not get read.
- Answer these questions: What is the actual news? Why is this news? Name people, products that are related with the news. The purpose behind the news.
- Information about the company: write a short paragraph about your firm.
- Add a call to action.
- Add your contact information:
Call your local radio, TV and newspapers and find out who to address the news release to. A news release can be sent via regular mail or e-mail. I try to keep my release to no more than one page; if I can develop interest, a call usually follows to ask me more questions. If I don’t hear anything I may place a call and see if they have any questions.
Like anything else in the world of business marketing, practice andpersistence is the key to success. Send out a news release at least once a month.
If you find yourself in a hole, the first thing to do is to stop digging.