In today’s economic climate change is the only constant; what that means is that you not only have to change your products and services or the way you market them, but also, you must reinvent yourself.
The result of this “reinvention” can be:
- you are in the right place at this time and you should continue what you are doing
- you may need to change direction, perhaps change your direction both in business and your personal life.
You may be stagnant and heading for a “fall” and this process may help you avoid a disaster.
The following are the steps I recommended for the process of reinvention.
- First and most important is to take time away from your work environment. That does not mean staying home for a week or two, but get away from both home and business.
- Start with a clean sheet of paper. Write down your thoughts, there does not have to be an outline to follow. Each of us is different and if you sit with a pad and pencil, and think about where you are, where you want to go and how you plan to get there, thoughts will come.
- write down your strengths and weaknesses; think about something you can do that will make you very happy. In this process, there are no limits, financial or otherwise, or right or wrong answers.
- No, you don’t have to lock yourself in a room, but carry your pad with you and jot down ideas as they come to you. Try to spend at least an hour a day in summary.
What a great opportunity to get rid of all the things you hate to do and turn you work into a passion for something special.
Taking time away from work may cause a financial burden, but I don’t believe that anyone is totally indispensable. There is always a way to find a week or two to devote to this process.
For me, I will spend my two weeks on a cruise visiting Ireland and Scotland.
They always say that time changes things, but you actually have to change them yourself.