My definition of the word “Ministry” is doing something that will help others. Small business owners are creative by nature; they have to be to have the GUTS (God’s Undeniable Terrific Secret) to start a business. Giving back to others is a major part of our responsibility and taking the lead by filling a need is part of your business foundation.
Let me share an example of a void that may exist in your circle. I am using as an example a new ministry that is just starting up in our Church.
- Many people have lost their jobs or are underemployed.
- Small business owners are struggling to grow their business
- Many members of our parish do not know what service and products other parish members offer.
- A number of our members are business owners looking for quality help
- Home values have decreased and those that were counting on their equity for retirement need help in planning alternative retirement programs
- Small business education is not readily available; most small business owners learn through the “school of hard knocks”
- Set up a web page where employers can post job openings and those seeking employment can post their resume. Do the same thing on a bulletin board located on the church property.
- Establish a networking group that meets two mornings a month
- Have a speaker series to cover the different aspects of running a small business ( accounting, legal, marketing, etc)
- Create a volunteer directory, free to all members, that states the name, type of business and contact numbers of the parish members.Many parishioners know each other by sight, but don’t know what business other members are in.
This is an example, what need to you see that you can take a leadership role in?
Don’t let your learning lead to knowledge; let your learning lead to action.
If you enjoy this blog, send me an e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org