Let’s be honest; unless you are in the retail industry and you make most of your sales between Thanksgiving and Christmas ( let’s extend that through Monday Jan 2, 2012), you may have a tendency to relax.
Follow me on this calculation: Starting with the day before Thanksgiving ( nobody really works on that day) and going through Jan 2, 2012, there are 41 days.
- over a month
- over 11% of the entire year
- too long a time for any business owner to relax
- an opportunity to gain an extra month on your competition
With so many people having the same mind-set, it becomes a self fulfilling prophecy and business does slowdown. So what should you be doing?
- if your competition is relaxing, you can work and get ahead
- you can review your business plan for last year and develop a new one (don’t be like so many who work on their goals on New Years Eve). Give the preparation of a new plan the time it deserves.
- you can implement your new plan now!
- you can review my blogs and select several ideas that you can focus on to grow your business
Yes family time and spiritual time is important, but it should be important on a year-round basis. Give your family and spiritual life the time they deserve, but don’t procrastinate with the rest of the time.
Every morning in Africa a gazelle wakes up. It knows that it must run faster than the fastest lion or it will be killed. Every morning a lion wakes up. It knows that it must outrun the slowest gazelle or it will starve to death.
It doesn’t matter whether you are a lion or a gazelle: When the sun comes up you had better be running. ( you may have heard this before, but it serves as a good reminder of what we must do with our time)
Nick J Petra