As small business owners we are in the “people business”. A lot of my blogs on marketing emphasize meeting people and staying in touch with them as the basis for successful growth. Today I want to stress the importance of social media as a business marketing tool. Let me start with a few statistics:
- More than 700 Billion minutes are spent on Facebook each month
- Twitter adds one Million accounts every day
- Pinterest the fastest growing social media platform to achieve 10 million unique visitors
- IN gains two new members every second
- You Tube handles 20% of the entire Internet’s traffic
Now let’s look at some marketing examples and possibilities:
- 95% of all Facebook wall posts are not answered by “brand” companies. This allows small business owners to create meaningful relations with customers and prospects.
- British clothing store BOTTICA has seen sales jump 10% since integrating Pinterest across their website.
- The average user spends 20 minutes per visit on Facebook. This length of time gives you a great opportunity to share your message with visitors.
- 13% of consumers follow a brand on social channels because of their content.
- Twitter handles more search queries per month than Bing and Yahoo combined – 32 million.
- 20% of Google searches each day have never been searched for before.
These statistics are from Awareness social marketing software.
Now back to real life! I constantly hear the following: “I don’t have the time, inclination, or knowledge to participate in social media. I am telling you now, if you don’t participate, you jeopardize your chances of survival in your business.
How to make it happen: designate someone in your business to be in charge of social media marketing. That person may have to be you, the business owner, putting in a couple of extra hours every night, or it could be a spouse or an employee. There is a lot of free information on the internet as well as many good books, seminars and companies that specialize in development and providing implementation support for a social media marketing plan.
You only have to read the paper to see the lines that iPhone buyers created to get the new i-phone this week. The way our customers and prospects make their choices about products and services to buy will be via hand held phones and pads from which they will access social media, apps and your web site.
Make a commitment to start a social media marketing plan this week. No, you will not see an immediate increase in your business and yes, it will take time and patience to develop the plan.
Fear can only be overcome by action….. Nick J. Petra CFP www.strategicduck.com
Our only business is to help you grow your business©