I am always looking for impact words, words that I believe should represent the core of a small business. At a meeting this morning the word FORTITUDE was introduced along with the following definition:
- Is the moral virtue that ensures firmness in difficulties and constancy in the pursuit of the good.
- It strengthens the resolve to resist temptations and to overcome obstacles in the moral life.
- The virtue of fortitude enables one to conquer fear, even fear of death, and to face trials and persecutions.
- It disposes one even to renounce and sacrifice his life in defense of a just cause.
At first this definition struck me as being too harsh, especially in the world of business, but as the discussion progressed, I felt that it made sense to apply that definition to our daily business lives.
- Difficulties do arise in our business lives and we should never compromise our values. We must show constancy to our customers/clients, staff and also to ourselves.
- Temptations to take a short cut, to deliver less than we promised are just a few of the issues we face in business. I added the words, “and business”, after the last word “moral” in the second point above.
- Often we face fear, fear of an uncertain business future which may have a negative impact on our business and consequently on our family life. Yes, we all, in our business life will face some type of trials and persecutions.
- To the last definition I added the word “business” before the word “life”. Cheating, stealing or other such issues we should never tolerate, no matter what the consequences.
So much power and wisdom exists in words if we take them to heart!
Nick J. Petra CFP Do you have a word you would like to share? www.strategicduck.com Make it a thoughtful today!