A lack of business growth can often be attributed to a lack of “word spreading”. A lot of business owners feel that they are solely responsible for telling the “world” about their business. Advertising, blogs, and social media are a part of the word spreading methods used by most business owners.
I feel that there is another facet to business growth, and that is to have someone else spread the word about your business. Yes, all the current marketing methods are great, but they would be even better if a committed group of people were using the same methods to talk about the benefits of your business.
Too many business owners feel that they are the only ones who will tell their story. Each of us has a committed group, however small, that can be “educated” on how to tell our story.
As most of you know, I am a great believer in maintaining records of people that I know. Over the years I have given different examples as to how to best use your contact list. This is yet another way:
- Go back to your list and select the top 10 people who know you and your business well, and who would be willing to help.
- Write your story from the perspective of a third party writing about the benefits that you and your business offer.
- Make an individual appointment with each of the ten people you selected and do as follows:
- Tell them that you have a goal to grow your business and need their help.
- Share with them your new marketing plan, “word spreading” by others.
- Explain that an endorsement by someone else has a lot more credibility than one told by the business owner about himself.
- Share with them the story you wrote and tell them that is only a suggestion and they should put it in their own words.
- The goal is to have your committed group use their “word spreading” tools and say something about your business every week for the next 4 weeks.
- Remember, you are educating your group; you may have to give examples of how to get your story out (social media, word or mouth, blogs, etc.)
- Offer to help write the words that will be sent out and ask if you can give them a weekly reminder.
- Tell them that at the end of four weeks you would like to have lunch to share the results of this unique marketing effort you are implementing.
This program will work even better if your top 10 people are business owners and you can do the same for them. This becomes a win-win situation with minimal effort and time.
The amount of “word spreading” that will happen if this process is implemented is the most effective way to reach a large number of people. Since your business story is being told by someone that they know, your credibility will grow. And since it is repeated 4 times, it will leave a positive impression.
As a coach/consultant, I can help you put together script for your committed followers to use.
It’s good to be in business for yourself but not by yourself, let Strategic Duck become your coach.